Website has became one of the most important part of a business. It is the front door of a company. The first your audience will look at when they take their steps to know more about your company.
It is also the first impression of your business and brand. Your business opportunity will heavily rely on this marketing tool.
One thing for sure is, many decision makers in a company are not internet savvy, not tech savvy either.
They have the vision of having a representative online presence but don’t know where to start and don’t know how they should look like.
In this post, I would like to share what you need to consider as essential requirements for your business website.
What you should know about having a representative website.
- A website is your front office and front desk
- A website is available 24 hours, 365 days
- Your information will be available online and accessible to public
- Your products and services are available online
- A website will allow anyone to contact you online
- Your website is the reflection of your business and brand.
A valuable website should be:
- Beautiful visually and technologically
- Have all functionality required for marketing
- Have all information related to your business and brand
- Works as reflection of your business and brand
- Consistently being updated with fresh contents
- Search engine friendly, for SEO purpose.
What you should do to get a good website:
- Spare your capital to better suit your financial budget
- Define the purpose of your website: company profile, e-commerce, campaign, etc.
- Prepare your business information to be included in the website
- Find some web design agencies or web designers
- Schedule your time to talk and consult with them about your business, brand, vision, etc.
- Get them to propose their ideas and quotation
- Don’t forget about security either
- Choose the best one to work with. Remember that it is a long term business relationship.
What you should do in the long run.
- Maintain content frequently
- Publish your content to social media
- Develop and execute marketing strategy and tactic through your website
- Include your website address in any marketing and contact information
- Continuously update backend technology and security.
- Evaluate your website performance through web analytic.
What you should not do:
- Get the cheapest web design agency or web designer
- Let your IT department decide on your web design. Instead, your marketing department should be in charged.
- Not open to visual design, functional and marketing suggestions
- Let the website online without maintenance and updates
- No digital strategy for your website
- No integration to any social media
- No content marketing
Some misconception of web design:
- Web design is fully about information technology, not marketing
- Every IT skilled people can do web design
- You don’t need CMS because you don’t need to update your website with fresh content
- You don’t need CMS because you or the IT guy can update your website without knowing HTML
- You don’t need responsive design
- Everyone will automatically know your website
- Your website will automatically go viral.
The above lists should provide you with idea on building a professional web design. They are written based on my experience in running a digital marketing agency.
I don’t go deep on each of the items though, because they are simply self-explanatory. I hope these tips serve you well. But if you’d like to discuss, just let me know.
Wahidin Wong is a digital marketer at Adkomu.com and an editor at Tobeeko.com. He is also a jazz and bossa lover.